December 7, 2010

Time to slow down....

In the craziness of school and work, finals and stress... I find myself forgetting about the Christmas season... and everything else that's really important for that matter. I rush from one thing to another, barely able to keep my head above water.  I have 3 more days of class and by Friday next week I will be DONE with my finals.  It's such a great feeling, but basically all I can think about right now.

Until I did my homework this morning.

I'm taking an LDS Marriage and Family class.  For the most part, I just read over the assigned articles, feel somewhat good about my life and then go on with things.  But for some reason, this morning was different.  We were assigned to read an article from President Hinckley called "Bring up a Child in the Way He Should Go."  Two paragraphs into the article and suddenly, nothing else mattered.

"We have critics both within and without.  Although they are vocal and have access to the media, they are relatively few in number. If we were entirely without criticism, we would be concerned. Our responsibility is not to please the world but, rather, do the will of the Lord, and from the beginning the divine will so often has been contrary to the ways of the world."

I'm so engrossed in worldly things and news that sometimes I can really feel myself get bogged down.  I get so insecure about myself.  I feel like I'm not doing anything worthwhile.  And I look at everyone else in my program and wish I was as dedicated or "well of" or PRETTY as them. 

But I know I am.  I know I do well at whatever it is that I do. I know who I am and I know that I'm loved.  But the world has different standards for me.  When I get so engulfed in the world around me and every-day life, I really lose my eternal perspective.  And that's something I'm definitely not willing to give up.

Not without a fight.  So bring it on.

2 comments:

anna. said...

hi. you are totally prettier than any / all of the kookies. and let's be honest...wayyyy more talented. <3 you.

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

You are an amazing woman, Bethie! You are my hero in so many ways and I am so glad that you are my little sista and friend. Thank you for the wonderful reminder!!!