August 28, 2012

Good Morning

A few month ago I started working at KSL as a part-time, on-call Associate Producer.
The hours were crazy.
I was working whenever I could, doing whatever they needed.

It was hard because I was sick the entire time,
but it was a job in TV News and I was just excited to not be waiting tables anymore.

Soon they started talking about making me a full-time AP.
This was a huge relief for our little family because that meant
we could get insurance for our little one.
I hear that's kind of an important thing.

So in June we started talking full-time.
 July they started having me fill-in as a producer.
I would cover shifts for co-workers who were out of town or home sick.
It was great because I got some good training
and the opportunity to prove myself.
Then they assigned me to several Olympic shows that I was completely in charge of.

Needless to say,
I was definitely working full-time.
Just not getting the benefits.
So at the beginning of August I started asking more questions about
a permanent job with the company.
Apparently, there were already plans in the works.

And here I am - 3 weeks later - training to take over my own show.
You're looking at reading the words of the newest 5am producer in Salt Lake City.
My own show.
A 42 minute news hole.
Full-time.
All mine.

It's been an adjustment shifting to the morning crew.
I work 10:30pm to 7:30 am.
Then I come home and sleep.
Baby G is getting adjusted, too.
He doesn't know what to think about the new schedule,
but I try not to let him make all the rules.

Physically: I can feel my body adjusting.
Mentally: My brain is learning to function at 2am.
Emotionally: I know this is the right thing for our little family.

Amazing how everything is falling into place.
As much as these overnight hours suck,
(and are probably the worst thing for a pregnant asthmatic)
working this show means we won't have to find a nanny for Baby G.
He will always be with one of his parents
and that gives me so much comfort.
We truly are being blessed.

So,
long-story-short,
if you suffer from insomnia: Facebook me.
I'll be up.

And if you want to reach me during the day,
beware of the sleeping beauty you may be waking.

Love much,
Beth

2 comments:

Natalie Marie said...

Yay! I'm so excited/proud for/of you :) And if there's anyone who can relate to that overnight schedule... good luck!

anna. said...

yay congrats!!