June 8, 2011

I'm a Mormon

So to prove that I'm not a complete waste as a contributor to this blog I thought that I would update you all with a little bit of what I've been up to over the last...well, I won't try and quantify how long it's been since the last time I posted something.

There's been a lot but I'll stick to one of the things that has been the most enjoyable to work on. About a month ago, like usual, Beth volunteered me to do a project for her dad who just so happens to be the Young Men's President of their ward. You see, every year they have a tradition of doing a little dinner for all of the graduating seniors where they give their parents the opportunity to say a few words about their son or daughter. That sounds lovely doesn't it? Well Beth's dad and his Bishop had a slightly different idea in mind for this year's dinner. That's where I come in.

You may or may not have seen one of the church's latest publicity campaigns entitled, "I'm a Mormon". Well, it's quite the intriguing little campaign that follows around ever day "normal" people, all of whom are a little more than normal if you ask me, that do a variety of things but all of one thing in common, they're all Mormons. I explain this to you because this is exactly what I had been enlisted to do for the Seniors in the Hillcrest 1st Ward in American Fork.

Overall it was a really fun experience. I followed around Beth's dad as he interviewed all of the Seniors. It was surprisingly really fun being there and learning all of their stories. I had never met any of them but after each 45 minute interview I felt like I had known them for years. I think that mostly had to do with how well my father-in-law did at interviewing them and making them feel comfortably with a camera shoved in their face and a stranger (me) behind it. They all opened up and, although different, each had a compelling story about how their membership in the church has affected their lives.

In the end, and after hours of work sitting at my computer editing, all of the projects turned out brilliantly and the best part is that they all seemed to like it. I think that's pretty impressive seeing how amusing a bunch of 18-year-olds is not the easiest thing in the world to do. Anyway, I guess it's time to stop talking about the project and just show you what it was and let you be the judge.

Enjoy!




























I hope you liked them. Feel free to let me know what you think.

3 comments:

jaime said...

Brian...these are so awesome. I loved watching them. Here in MN we are a test market for the mormon.org program and we have loved it. I think your videos are just as good as the ones the church put out. I love to see the fresh example of some amazing youth. Thank you for sharing...it was a great way to start my day.

anna. said...

these are sweet. also...45 minute interviews?! that's a little insane. but it looks like the time paid off and (as per usual) you did a smashing job making these kids look super-cool.

Unknown said...

Yeah, the interviews were really long...much longer than I would have done if I were asking the questions but at least I didn't have to worry about not having enough material.