May 29, 2011

Gimme Some...

So in my goals for the summer
I've decided to start a new blog in which I showcase some of my talents.
But since that is still under construction, I thought I'd showcase it here.

I grew up in a house with a very talented mother/chef/woman.
One of our traditions includes sitting around the table making/cutting/decorating sugar cookies.

Now, since I'm starting a new blog and I want to think of you all as family
I'm sharing a VERY SECRET family recipe.

Aunt Neala's Sugar Cookies
(along with tips for the newest of new bakers)

2 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 Tbs white vinegar
4 eggs
1/2 tsp alt
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbs baking soda
5 cups flour

I like to save time by gathering all the ingredients at once.
This also cuts back on the repetitious refrigerator door opening.
Start by beating the sugar and shortening until combined and fluffy.
Tip Time: Line your measuring cup with plastic wrap for an easy shortening clean-up.
Add eggs, vinegar, salt and vanilla.
I also like to add a bit of almond extract as well for a little extra taste.
Beat these until combined.
Sift flour and baking soda together in a separate bowl.
Tip Time: I don't have a sifter, so I use a smaller measuring cup and just pour the flour into the correct measuring cup. This adds the appropriate amount of air and fluffiness to the dry ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients... SLOWLY!
I usually add about 1/3 at a time.
Portion the dough off into 3 sections.
Roll out and cut.
Tip Time: For softer cookies, roll to about 1/3 inch thickness.
MAKE SURE all your cookies are the same thickness or they will bake differently.
Bake for 8-10 minutes @ 350.
Cool.
Tip Time: Seriously, these babies are best on day 3.
So I wrap them with a slice of bread to keep them soft and wait a while to frost.

Frost and ENJOY!
Now this spring sunshine is going to cheer up a friend in need!

Make 'em and tell me what you think!

Love much,
Beth

2 comments:

Corinne Roxanne Davis said...

YAY!!! I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing the very secret recipe :) I can't wait to make them! I loved all the tips you added along the way! Excellent, Beth! Can't wait to see more!

anna. said...

you're officially invited to hang out at my & nat's bakery someday ( : also that plastic wrap thing is GENIUS and i always forget to do it but it makes everything so much easier. miss you!