September 22, 2010

Love/Hate

Last night while driving I had an epiphany of sorts. I say of sorts because usually an epiphany concerns subject matter that is a little deeper than the thought I had last night but I still had an interesting thought. The thought was for a funny idea I had that is to make a list of things that I love but that sometimes have very unappealing qualities. Hence, Love/Hate.

I love roundabouts. They make life so much easier and make traffic flow on smaller side streets much more efficient. No more stopping at a stop sign even when there isn't a car anywhere to be seen. They are everything I like about modern science: Smooth, economical, efficient. It might only cut off 5 seconds of my daily commute but it's the little things that make life what it is. It's amazing.

I hate roundabouts when people don't know how to use them. You pull up, you yield to the oncoming traffic and then they stop to let you in. Could there be anything more annoying. You sit there and you do the little dance. We all know what I'm talking about. The one where you're like, me, no you, no me, no you each creeping an inch further at a time (always at the same time causing even more confusion). And not only is it annoying it is also quite dangerous. It also stops the flow of traffic and then I think to myself, why can't they just put in a stop sign.

1 comment:

Kaylee Jo said...

Agreed. This was great! American, well Utahns don't know how to use the beloved round about. It's all we've got in Australia and I love them!